The mission of ACDA is to inspire excellence and nurture lifelong involvement in choral music for everyone through education, performance, composition and advocacy.
To create powerful artistic experiences and be advocates for cultural and educational change that we might transform people’s lives.
Diversity in the Work of Choral Musicians
Diversity has many facets and intersectionalities. Diversity can reference and celebrate culture, race, ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, sexual identity, age, and religious ideals, among others. While we have not always been open, affirming, accepting, and embracing in the past, we now recognize our shortcomings, and resolve to address them. Our members represent a diverse community and deserve to be acknowledged and treated with dignity. Though we know that our 2021 national virtual conference could not undo the past, let it mark the beginning of a new paradigm, a better way, and a concept of choral excellence encompassing musical artistry and the principles of inclusion and radical hospitality. We welcome you into our community of support and partnership.
In pursuit of our Mission and Vision, we will review and implement recommendations from the 2020 Diversity Study and input from our membership to ensure ACDA pursues accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion through choral singing and outreach to potential choral participants.
ACDA does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. ACDA is an equal opportunity employer.
Download the ACDA Strategic Plan (2021).
- To foster and promote choral singing, which will provide artistic, cultural, and spiritual experiences for the participants.
- To foster and promote the finest types of choral music to make these experiences possible.
- To foster and encourage rehearsal procedures conducive to attaining the highest possible level of musicianship and artistic performance.
- To foster and promote the organization and development of choral groups of all types in schools and colleges.
- To foster and promote the development of choral music in the church and synagogue.
- To foster and promote the organization and development of choral societies in cities and communities.
- To foster and promote understanding of choral music as an important medium of contemporary artistic expression.
- To foster and promote significant research in the field of choral music.
- To foster and encourage choral composition of superior quality.
- To cooperate with all organizations dedicated to the development of musical culture in America.
- To foster and promote international exchange programs involving performing groups, conductors, and composers.
- To disseminate professional news and information about choral music.
- To foster and promote choral singing in the pursuit of peace and justice that enhances social and emotional well-being.
- To foster and promote diversity and inclusivity through active engagement with underrepresented choral musicians and potential choral participants.
ACDA Position Statements
Statement on Sacred Music in Public Schools
Care should be taken in the performance of music associated with any religious or cultural tradition that it not be construed as a religious service or religious celebration. Whenever possible, a multiplicity of cultural traditions should be included in musical programming.
COVID-19 Pandemic Statement
Advocacy statement contained within the COVID-19 Response Committee Report (June 15, 2020)
ACDA Released Statements
On the Rise of Anti-Asian and Xenophobic Behaviors (April 8, 2021)
On the Murder of George Floyd and the Impacts of Racism (June 3, 2020)
In Response to Recent Events in Charlottesville, Virginia (August 21, 2017)