PLEASE NOTE: Applications for the conducting masterclass are no longer being accepted as the deadline has passed.
The conference committee is pleased to announce a public masterclass in conducting to be held during the 2020 Eastern Region Conference. This masterclass is sponsored by DCINY (Distinguished Concerts International New York). The sessions will be led by renowned conductor/teacher Marguerite Brooks. Selected students will each receive a $300 scholarship provided by DCINY to offset their conference-related expenses.
We are thrilled to have Marguerite L. Brooks leading our undergraduate and graduate level conducting masterclasses at the ACDA Eastern Region Conference in Rochester, New York, on March 6, 2020. This is an outstanding opportunity for students to work with Marguerite L. Brooks, who joined the Yale faculty in 1985 as chair of the choral conducting program at the School of Music and director of choral music at the Institute of Sacred Music. Active as a guest conductor, teacher, and clinician, she has been a juror for the Eric Ericson conducting competition; she has conducted, taught, and adjudicated in North and South America, Europe, and Asia.
Three undergraduate and three graduate conductors will be chosen. The undergraduates will work with a high school chorus, and the graduate conductors will work with a collegiate level chorus during the masterclass. Applicants must be enrolled in a college/university music program to be eligible.
- November 1, 2019 – Application and related items due (Video/YouTube).
- December 2, 2019 – Notification of finalists.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications for the conducting masterclass are no longer being accepted.
The application (located below) will include, in addition to basic identification information:
- An unedited video of the candidate conducting one composition in rehearsal (10 minutes maximum)
- An uninterrupted run-through or performance (it does not need to be a public concert or performance – just an uninterrupted run of the composition)
Applicants will be adjudicated on their knowledge of the music (as evidenced in the rehearsal and the gesture), rehearsal preparation, teaching, communication skill, and relevance and effectiveness of gesture. Please note that all applications will be assessed anonymously by judges who do not have students applying. Please be sure that there is nothing in your videos that will identify you personally or the name of the institution you attend.
Each candidate may earn up to 100 points on their application. The committee will score each candidate on the following:
- Knowledge of the score: 35 points
- Rehearsal, teaching, and communication: 35 points
- Relevance and effectiveness of gesture: 30 points
ACDA is not responsible for any expenses incurred by conductors chosen to participate in the 2020 Eastern Region Conducting Masterclasses.
- Application form (submitted electronically)
- Verification of video validity
- Verification by a University official of the student’s class standing and fulltime status (letter from Registrar’s office, unofficial transcript, etc.)
- Audition video recording, uploaded as “unlisted” to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com) *URL for YouTube video that DOES NOT include identifying information (Please do not include your name in the URL. Please DO NOT include your name in the YouTube channel.)
- One to two-page résumé of conducting experience
Questions or concerns may be addressed to Dr. Janet Galván, Conducting Masterclass Chairperson: email@example.com