2012 Eastern Division Conference, Providence
Junior High School Honor Choir
Julie Covach, accompanist
Eligibility and Expectations
- Singers who will be in grades 7, 8, or 9 in February 2012 may apply. Application deadline is June 15, 2011.
- Given the ‘changing’ nature of male voices in this age range, applicants should apply in the voice range that best suits them at the time of the audition—changes in vocal placement might be made (in consultation with the ACDA sponsor) when repertoire is sent out.
- Singers must be members in good standing of their sponsoring musical organizations.
- Singers are responsible for all expenses incurred, including the application fee ($30.00), registration fee ($250), hotel costs (see housing information) and personal transportation costs. Scholarships are available.
- Singers must be well-prepared on all music prior to arrival. Re-auditions will take place before the first rehearsal on Wednesday, February 15. Singers who are not prepared will not be allowed to participate in the honor choir.
- Singers must have a parent representative staying with them in the room in the appointed hotel, the Westin Providence.
- Singers are expected to abide by all ACDA Honor Choir policies. If rules are broken, singers will be sent home at their personal expense.
- Accepted singers are expected to register online.
- All information regarding the Honor Choir experience will be communicated through the ACDA Sponsor. Singers should check regularly with the sponsor and on the Honor Choir Communication webpage for updated information. Singers must have an ACDA sponsor (or a representative named by the sponsor) staying at a conference hotel who can provide ACDA with a working cell phone number.
- All application information must be uploaded to the audition site no later than June 15, 2011.
- Results of the audition will be emailed to ACDA sponsors on or before September 1, 2011. Rosters will be posted on the ACDA website. Singers should check with their sponsors for results.
- Sponsor and the applicant with his/her parent submits online application information. The online application form is here: http://acdaeast.opusevent.com.
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $30.00 paid online on the application site.
- Sponsor uploads sound files of the following for the student.
- A. Sing the ascending and descending major scales appropriate to voice part. Scales should be sung on the vowel “ah” as in father. Only the starting pitch may be played. Accompanied singers will be disqualified.
|Voice Part||Starting pitch for ascending scale||Starting pitch for Descending scale|
|Soprano||A above middle C||C above middle C|
|Alto||E above middle C||A above middle C|
|Tenor||G below middle C||E above middle C|
|Bass||E-flat below middle C||B-flat below middle C|
Soprano: A-flat above middle C
Alto: E above middle C
Tenor: A below middle C
Bass: F below middle C
C. Solo: Sing one minute of a range-appropriate folk song, art song or aria, accompanied or unaccompanied. It is important that the piece chosen demonstrates tone quality and musicality required of a choral singer. If accompaniment is used, please limit the introduction to 5 seconds at the most. Clearly state the title of prepared solo and the name of the composer/arranger at the beginning of this part of the recording.
Please click on the following links for more information