2012 Conference – Elementary Honor Choir
February 15-18, 2012
Donald Cotton, accompanist
Eligibility and Expectations
- Treble singers who will be in grades 4, 5, or 6 in February, 2012 may apply. Application deadline is June 15, 2011.
- Singers must be members in good standing of their sponsoring musical organizations.
- Singers are responsible for all expenses incurred, including the application fee ($30.00), registration fee ($250), hotel costs (see housing information) and personal transportation costs. Scholarships are available.
- Singers must be well-prepared on all music prior to arrival. Re-auditions will take place before the first rehearsal on Wednesday, February 15. Singers who are not prepared will not be allowed to participate in the honor choir.
- Singers must have a parent representative staying with them in the room in the appointed hotel, the Providence Hilton.
- Singers are expected to abide by all ACDA Honor Choir policies. If rules are broken, singers will be sent home at their personal expense.
- Accepted singers are expected to register online and make online hotel reservations.
- All information regarding the Honor Choir experience will come through the ACDA Sponsor. Singers should check regularly with the sponsor and on the Honor Choir Communication webpage for updated information.
- All application information and sound files must be uploaded by June 15, 2011.
- Results of the audition will be emailed to ACDA sponsors on or before September 1, 2011. Rosters will be posted on the ACDA website. Singers should check with their sponsors for results.
- The online application form is here: http://acdaeast.opusevent.com.
- Sponsor, and the applicant with his/her parent submits online application information
- Include a non-refundable application fee of $30.00 paid online on the application site.
- Sponsor uploads three separate sound files of the following for the student. The sound files are:
A. Vocalise. The student will sing four (4) legato five-tone scale passages, ascending and descending, beginning on the given pitches. All vocalises must be sung a cappella. The starting pitch or chord may be given for each of the four vocalises on piano, pitch pipe, guitar or voice. Vocalises are to be sung on the syllable “mah”. The first pitch of each phrase should be voiced on “mah” with the following four notes sounding the extension of “ah”. (Please follow the metronome markings and do not stop the recording until all four phrases are completed.)
mm = 80 – 100
Four Starting Pitches for Vocalises:
|D above middle C||A below middle C|
|F# above middle C||middle C#|
|A above middle C||E above middle C|
|Fourth line D||A above middle C|
B. Sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” (America) starting on the pitches appropriate to voice part, without accompaniment. Sing only the first verse. Accompanied singers will be disqualified.
The starting pitch or chord may be given on piano, pitch pipe, guitar or voice.
Starting pitch is A
Starting pitch is D
C. Solo: Sing one minute of a range-appropriate folk song, or a song taught in class or in chorus, accompanied or unaccompanied. It is important that the piece chosen best to demonstrate tone quality and musicality required of a choral singer. If accompaniment is used, please limit the introduction to 5 seconds at the most. Clearly state the title of prepared solo and the name of the composer/arranger at the beginning of this part of the recording.
Please click on the following links for more information