Application for Choral Performance
ACDA Eastern Division Conference
March 7-11, 2018
Auditioned Choirs Audition Process Timeline
March 1, 2017 Online application opens
April 15, 2017 Online application closes
Early May 2017 R&S Chair Review
Mid-May 2017 Executive selection committee convenes for final screening.
June 15, 2017 Choirs will be notified of their status via email.
The entire Auditioned Choir application process is online via OpusEvent. The online application opens on March 1, 2017 and closes on April 15, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. Here is the link for application:
Auditioned Choir Application: ACDA Eastern Conference Auditioned Choir
Directors may apply for three categories of conference participation. Directors may apply for more than one category. All three categories are open to all choir types.
- Auditioned Choir
- Interest Session/Demonstration Choir
- “Together We Sing”
- Conductor must be current paid member of ACDA.
- Conductor must be employed in the same position for this and two previous school/calendar years.
- Conductor must have conducted the auditioning ensemble for this and two previous school/calendar years. The exception is for directors who have been on sabbatical during part of that time; in that case, recordings would need to go back to the 2013-14 academic year.
- Ensemble did not perform as an auditioned choir in the 2016 Eastern Division Conference (choirs that performed solely in interest sessions in Boston are eligible to apply).
NB: Directors who do not fit requirement 3 or 4 above can choose to apply to be a Demonstration Choir and/or to be involved with “Together We Sing.”
ACDA assumes no financial responsibility for performer travel, food, or lodging. By submitting an application to perform, you automatically consent to being audio and video recorded with no financial compensation from ACDA or the recording company if chosen to perform in the convention.
The OpusEvent application process requires that you submit three recordings in MP3 format. The combined total duration of the three recordings should be no longer than 10-15 minutes in length and must include three selections:
- One selection from the current school or calendar year, and
- One selection from each of the two previous school or calendar years.
Recordings must be of live concert performances. Studio recordings are unacceptable.
*** IMPORTANT! ***
Do NOT include any identifying information within the recording itself (e.g., an announcement of the group or conductor, a visible banner of the school in a video clip, etc.).
Other Audition Submission Requirements
Include a PDF scan of one concert program for each piece represented on the application. Please scan the program page that includes the concert date and the repertoire page.
- The ensemble’s biography (up to 100 words maximum).
- The conductor’s biography (up to 100 words maximum).
- A proposed program if accepted. The proposed program should include the Title, Composer and Approximate Performance Time in Minutes and Seconds of each work on the program. The program should be for 25 minutes total on stage (including applause, changes of formation, etc.). Please note: accepted choirs are expected to perform the proposed program. Any changes to the program will need to be in requested in writing before October 1, 2017.
- (You will be asked to submit photographs upon acceptance).
- An application fee of $40 will be required to complete the application.
**Together We Sing
“Together We Sing” sessions have replaced the traditional “Reading Sessions” that were a part of divisional conferences up through 2012. The TWS sessions feature a selected choir singing 2-3 works that are agreed upon by the choir director and the R&S chair for the choir type. In addition to full performances of the selected repertoire by the TWS selected choir, time is allotted during the session for the choir director and R&S chair to talk about the music itself (e.g. background information, experiences learning/preparing the piece, music literacy opportunities, etc.). An additional 2-3 pieces will be read by the session attendees.
Please direct any questions or concerns to:
Auditioned Choirs Chair, ACDA Eastern Division