2018 Eastern Division ACDA Junior High Honor Choir
March 7-10, 2018 Pittsburgh, PA
Gary Packwood, Conductor
Jared Berry, Honor Choir Chair
Eligibility for audition
- Singers who will be in grades 7, 8, or 9 in March 2018 may apply
- Application deadline is June 30, 2017
- Singers must be members in good standing of their sponsoring musical organizations
- Given the ‘changing’ nature of male voices in this age range, applicants should apply in the voice range that best suits them at the time of the audition—changes in vocal placement might be made (in consultation with the ACDA sponsor) when repertoire is sent out.
Registration fees and costs: Accepted singers are responsible for all of the following
- Application fee of $30
- Registration/participation fee of $280
- Hotel: Participating Junior High Honor Choir singers and their parent(s) or parent-appointed chaperones will be staying at the Westin Hotel, which will have a conference rate of $159 per night.
- Personal transportation to and from Pittsburgh from home.
Expectations of accepted singers
- Singers must be well-prepared on all music prior to arrival. Re-auditions will take place before the first rehearsal on Wednesday, March 7. Singers who are not prepared will not be allowed to participate in the honor choir
- Singers are expected to abide by all ACDA Honor Choir policies. If rules are broken, singers will be sent home at their personal expense.
- All information regarding the Honor Choir experience will be communicated through the ACDA Sponsor. Singers should check regularly with the sponsor and on the Honor Choir Announcement webpage (acdaeast.org) for updated information. Singers must have an ACDA sponsor (or a representative named by the sponsor) staying at a conference hotel who can provide ACDA with a working cell phone number.
- Any questions can be addressed to Jared Berry, ACDA Eastern Division Conference Honor Choir Chair, at email@example.com.
- All application information must be uploaded to the audition site no later than June 30, 2017.
- Results of the audition will be emailed to ACDA sponsors on or before September 1, 2017.
Online Audition Process
- Online applications are on this site: http://www.opusevent.com/.
- The Sponsor (and the applicant with his/her parent as necessary) submits online application information.
- Include a non-refundable application fee of $30.00 paid online on the application site.
- Sponsor uploads sound files of the following for the student
A. Sing the ascending and descending major scales appropriate to voice part. Scales should be sung on the vowel “ah” as in father. Only the starting pitch may be played. Accompanied singers will be disqualified.
|Voice Part||Starting pitch for
|Starting pitch for
|Soprano||A above middle C||C above middle C|
|Alto||E above middle C||A above middle C|
|Tenor||G below middle C||E above middle C|
|Bass||E-flat below middle C||B-flat below middle C|
B. Sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” (America) starting on the pitches appropriate to voice part, without accompaniment. Sing only the first verse. Accompanied singers will be disqualified.
Soprano: A-flat above middle C
Alto: E above middle C
Tenor: A below middle C
Bass: F below middle C
C. Solo: Sing one minute of a range-appropriate folk song, art song or aria, accompanied or unaccompanied. It is important that the piece chosen demonstrates tone quality and musicality required of a choral singer. If accompaniment is used, please limit the introduction to 5 seconds at the most. Clearly state the title of prepared solo and the name of the composer/arranger at the beginning of this part of the recording.