2018 Eastern Division ACDA Elementary Honor Choir
March 7-10, 2018 Pittsburgh, PA
Susan Brumfield, Conductor
Jared Berry, Honor Choir Chair
Eligibility for audition
- Treble singers who will be in grades 4, 5, or 6 in March 2018 may apply
- Application deadline is June 30, 2017
- Singers must be members in good standing of their sponsoring musical organizations
Registration fees and costs: Accepted singers are responsible for all of the following
- Application fee of $30
- Registration/participation fee of $280
- Hotel: Participating Elementary Honor Choir singers and their parent(s) or parent-appointed chaperones will be staying at the Westin Hotel, which will have a conference rate of $159 per night.
- Personal transportation to and from Pittsburgh from home.
Expectations of accepted singers
- Singers must be well-prepared on all music prior to arrival. Re-auditions will take place before the first rehearsal on Wednesday, March 7. Singers who are not prepared will not be allowed to participate in the honor choir
- Singers are expected to abide by all ACDA Honor Choir policies. If rules are broken, singers will be sent home at their personal expense.
- All information regarding the Honor Choir experience will be communicated through the ACDA Sponsor. Singers should check regularly with the sponsor and on the Honor Choir Announcement webpage (acdaeast.org) for updated information. Singers must have an ACDA sponsor (or a representative named by the sponsor) staying at a conference hotel who can provide ACDA with a working cell phone number.
- Any questions can be addressed to Jared Berry, ACDA Eastern Division Conference Honor Choir Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All application information must be uploaded to the audition site no later than June 30, 2017.
- Results of the audition will be emailed to ACDA sponsors on or before September 1, 2017.
Online Audition Process
- Online applications are on this site: http://www.opusevent.com/.
- The Sponsor (and the applicant with his/her parent as necessary) submits online application information.
- Include a non-refundable application fee of $30.00 paid online on the application site.
- Sponsor uploads three separate sound files of the following for the student. The sound files are:
A. Vocalise. The student will sing four (4) legato five-tone scale passages, ascending and descending, beginning on the given pitches. All vocalises must be sung a cappella. The starting pitch or chord may be given for each of the four vocalises on piano, pitch pipe, guitar or voice. Vocalises are to be sung on the syllable “mah”. The first pitch of each phrase should be voiced on “mah” with the following four notes sounding the extension of “ah”. (Please follow the metronome markings and do not stop the recording until all four phrases are completed.)
Four Starting Pitches for Vocalises:
|D above middle C
F# above middle C
A above middle C
Fourth line D
| A below middle C
E above middle C
A above middle C
B. Sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” (America) starting on the pitches appropriate to voice part, without accompaniment. Sing only the first verse. Accompanied singers will be disqualified.
The starting pitch or chord may be given on piano, pitch pipe, guitar or voice.
Soprano: Starting pitch is A.
Alto: Starting pitch is D.
- Solo: Sing one minute of a range-appropriate folk song, or a song taught in class or in chorus, accompanied or unaccompanied. It is important that the piece chosen best to demonstrate tone quality and musicality required of a choral singer. If accompaniment is used, please limit the introduction to 5 seconds at the most. Clearly state the title of prepared solo and the name of the composer/arranger at the beginning of this part of the recording.