The Philadelphia Bach Institute
Helmuth Rilling, Conductor
February 9 -12, 2010
Robert Duff, Institute Director
Dawn Willis, Associate Director
ACDA Eastern Division is proud to present the Philadelphia Bach Institute, an intensive immersion in the craft of conducting with master teacher Helmuth Rilling. Beginning two days prior to the ACDA Eastern Division Conference, the Institute is designed for ACDA members as well as professional guests who wish to learn from Mr. Rilling’s conducting pedagogy and to experience singing under his baton.
Institute auditors participate fully in all master classes and seminars, and sing in a Conductor’s Chorus preparing selected movements from Sven-David Sandström’s Messiah. They will also observe selected rehearsals as Mr. Rilling prepares choruses, orchestra, and soloists for the Kimmel Center performance on Friday evening.
What You Can Expect
- Discover the conductor’s various roles in leading continuo and solo instruments.
- Solve problems of vocal/instrumental balance in complex choral and orchestral movements.
- Explore how text, music, symbolism, structure, and technique converge.
- Learn to hear what is actually played and sung rather than what you think you hear.
- Strengthen your rehearsal techniques and learn how to anticipate problems.
- Work alongside colleagues who care about technical growth and the development of artistic insight.
Helmuth Rilling is based in Stuttgart, Germany, where he is artistic director of the Internationale Bachakademie. In addition to guest conducting engagements that have taken him to the world’s leading concert halls, he has directed Bach academies in Argentina, Hungary, Japan, Poland, the Czech Republic, Venezuela, and the former Soviet Union. He has led the Oregon Bach Festival’s Master Class since its inception in 1970.
Dates: Tuesday, February 9* – Wednesday, February 10
Individual events will also occur during the Eastern Division Conference, Thursday, February 11 – Friday, February 12
*The Institute schedule is designed to allow participants to travel to Philadelphia on the morning of February 9th. The first scheduled session will begin at 1:00pm.
Learn directly from master teacher Helmuth Rilling.
Conduct performances of works by J.S. Bach.
Rehearse newly commissioned works.
Reflect on your craft.
This is the essence of the Philadelphia Bach Institute.
Conducting Applications closed